Materials Provided by United States Mint Will Help Promote Understanding of the New Coins
WASHINGTON – The United States Mint announced today it is offering a wide range of free informational materials on its website at www.usmint.gov/$1coin to help retailers, financial institutions, educators and other interested organizations promote understanding of the new Presidential $1 Coins. The Presidential $1 Coins are being introduced as a result of the Presidential Coin Act of 2005, which requires the United States Mint to mint and issue the dollar coins commemorating the former United States Presidents in the order in which they served. The first in the series of Presidential $1 Coins features President George Washington and will be released on February 15, 2007.
According to a recent study commissioned by the United States Mint, about half of Americans surveyed said they are interested in collecting the Presidential $1 Coins, and many expect the coins to be available at retail locations and at financial institutions. The website is a key resource to help retailers, financial institutions and educators prepare for the expected interest in the Presidential $1 Coins.
“Our research indicates that the Presidential $1 Coins will be popular with Americans,” said United States Mint Director Edmund C. Moy. “The new website provides valuable information to help educators, retailers and bankers promote a better understanding of the Presidential $1 Coin to their customers, employees and students.”
• Brochures that can be conveniently displayed at a financial institution or retail establishment or distributed to students
• Coin boards for collecting and storing the first four Presidential $1 Coins with quick facts about our nation’s first four presidents
• A bookmark with a complete release schedule to 2016
• Various-sized posters for display in a lobby, employee break room or a classroom
• Point-of-sale materials, such as stickers, advising customers that dollar coins are accepted
• A brief web-based tutorial on the Presidential $1 Coins for retail and financial institution employees
The United States Mint and the Federal Reserve Bank are engaged in a coordinated effort to make it easier for businesses and members of the general public to obtain the new Presidential $1 Coins as they are released.
Like the United States Mint’s 50 State Quarters® Program on which it was modeled, the Presidential $1 Coin Program features a series of rotating designs. Each President will be honored with a single Presidential $1 Coin, regardless of the number of consecutive terms he served. Grover Cleveland, the only United States President to serve non-consecutive terms, will be honored on two coins. No living former or current President can be honored on a coin.
Press inquiries: Michael White (202) 354-7222
Customer Service information: (800) USA MINT (872-6468)